Cardiac treatments like bypass surgery, valve replacement and heart transplantare the most commonly performed procedures by top heart surgeon in India. Here, we are going to discuss in details about heart transplant in India. It is an open-heart surgical procedure suggested for those patients on whom other treatments have failed to work and has led to heart failure.
Heart failure can result from one or more of the following conditions:
- severe coronary artery disease,
- cardiomyopathy (weakening of heart muscle),
- valvular insufficiency or stenosis,
- recurring ventricular arrhythmias even after previous treatment, and
- congenital heart defect.
Best hospitals in Delhi are fully equipped with all the advanced equipment and other facilities to successfully perform heart transplant in India. Cardiac surgeon in Delhi can be easily approached for consultation and counselling regarding this major heart-related procedure. He will evaluate you for your eligibility to undergo the procedure as not every heart failure patient is the right candidate for heart transplant.
Listed below are the common factors that affect your eligibility for undergoing heart transplant in India:
- It may not be suitable if you are an old age patient as recovering from such a major surgery would be difficult in advanced age,
- Other medical conditions like chronic liver or kidney disease may also become a hindrance in declaring you fit for transplant,
- Some cancers also prohibit the eligibility for this procedure,
- Willingness to make lifestyle changes like quitting smoking and alcohol may make it difficult for you to undergo heart transplant. Even the top cardiologist in India may not be able to help you if you are unable to quit these unhealthy habits.
Indian heart hospitals have worked extensively to build a transplant team that can handle end stage heart failure with great perfection and high success rate. With a team consisting of best heart surgeon in Delhi and cutting-edge technology, it has become easier to give heart failure patients a new lease of life in India.
What Happens During a Heart Transplant Procedure?
- In simple terms, heart transplant is an open-heart surgery in which your cardiac surgeon will remove your diseased heart and place the donor heart in its place. He will then attach all the major blood vessels to donor heart.
- The entire transplant procedure is divided in three stages. First is harvesting of healthy heart from the donor, who is usually a braindead person with other organs that are functioning normal. Second is removing your diseased heart. And the third one is implantation of healthy donor heart.
- An extensive screening of both patient and donor is done to evaluate donor-patient matching to go ahead with the transplant. You also may have to wait for a suitable donor.
- Once everything is in place, that is, you find a suitable donor and all the legal formalities and documentation is complete, you will be scheduled for surgery.
- After the completion of transplant, you will remain in hospital for few days for close monitoring and observation and ensuring that your new heart is working well inside you.
- You may get back to work and resume normal daily life activities after 3 to 6 months of transplant and will be asked to maintain heart-healthy diet and follow few activity restrictions which will be explained to you by your treating doctor.